Tuesday 3 January 2012

Had a teen-life crisis last night

Well, I say last night, but it was actually in the early hours of the morning and I'm 18 so more of an adult now than a teen, but anyway... I've decided that I no longer want to do the fashion course at my college. Don't get me wrong; my future career goals still of course include fashion, I just don't really have a lot of interest in actually making clothes. This course is basically all about the making of clothes and that just isn't what I want to do. I want to be a visual merchandiser. When I'm in New Look (where I work) I constantly find myself rearranging clothes into colour order or to what colours or designs would be most appealing to the eye. I would love to dress mannequins in the window, and the mannequins on the shop floor, designate where certain items of clothing should be situated in the store, ahhh I would love to do that.
I thought that to get into the fashion world, my current course would be the only way that in, when actually it's not, there are so many other different avenues that I could go through to get to where I want to end up! I never believed in myself either, never believed that I would actually be good at anything other than English, so I didn't even look into anything else other than 6th form which I dropped out of at the end of my AS's, then I did a hair and beauty course which I left to do my current fashion course.


Luckily, during my crisis, my cousin was online and we had a good talk and he's always really good in these types of situations as I feel he knows me better than anyone, and he suggested that I take a gap year, and look into the Fashion Retail Academy, and see if there were any courses their that were what I actually want to do. They were. I must go there!
aha I'm so indecisive but that's why I think it's a good idea to have a gap year, get a full time job, so either ask for more hours at New Look or look else where, and then decide what I want from this life. There are so many good courses on their website that have literally grabbed me. I want to ultimately have my own store in a good few years, but for the next couple of years, I really see myself just growing as a person, going to this academy, and then working in a chain store as a Visual Merchandiser. I think that that would be perfect for me as I love clothes, but do not want to make them.



This is very long, but I just needed to write this all down and get it off of my chest.

No comments:

Post a Comment